Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Revving up....

  The Hacienda started revving up for the holidays last month and we are soon to hit holiday number 2..Thanksgiving. I LOVE the simplicity of this holiday, the simple focus on gratitude, family and abundance of the non materialistic type. This year we will also kick off Hanukkah on the same day (we are not Jewish but Kaya loves the story of the miracle of the oil and we also celebrate by reading the book, doing latkes etc. We do not do a menorah or 8 days of gifts etc as we are not Jewish. I simply like her expanding her culture horizon :) )
  This year I was the lucky gal (insert sarcasm) that drew a shift to work on Thanksgiving day and on Black Friday. I've often worked overnight on Thanksgiving to prepare for Black Friday but this year I work a day shift..which I'm thankful for..but the shift hits square in the day that I can't do dinner here as I've done traditionally since Steve and I married. It bothered me at first...till I remembered when it came to my brother's leave time in the service we've done Thanksgiving in Oct, in Jan and in August lol so truly there is no need to get upset about the date on the calendar..that's not what is important.
  I am upset about how the greed of America has led the way for people to think it's ok to leave their family tables to shop for "Great bargains" or the excuses that are deemed ok that people have to work that day. I realistically know a dr, a nurse, an ambulance driver etc will probably work and while I hate they have to..it's reasonable that the job they do is 24/7. People needing a 2 dollar toaster is NOT a reasonable excuse for a business to be open or people to shop.
  I was told this year from someone that "It is so horrible retail stores are starting the sales at 4pm! Now I have to leave my family dinner hours early to get the bargain. That is not fair to customers." I literally bit my tongue..seriously? Have we become such a nation of materialistic greed that it's ok for one person to miss their family time and meal as long as it's accommodating your family meal and your time to hit a sale? That it's horrible that YOU have to leave your dinner an hour early while my family has NO dinner together? 
  I wish sometimes people would think then open their mouths. I know some people will say it's ok to be open, that we should be happy it's extra money for Christmas. Obviously those people have also lost the true meaning of Cmas! It's NOT materialism, it's not simply gifts and it's not money. I've never shopped Black Friday nor do I ever plan to and I tend to think less harsh of people that do shop that day simply because it's been around forever. Stores forcing sales to Thanksgiving Day is relevantly new and there is one reason it's done....
  BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL SHOP THAT DAY AND MAKE THE STORES MONEY!!!
  If people don't shop, then the next year simple bottom line profit reports will determine if a store is open. 
  So while at first I was upset that our Thanksgiving meal would be on the Saturday after turkey day I reminded myself that it's not the date on the calendar it's the people at the table that makes the meal. Do I hate working that day? Yep, but I also know I have to have a job. Blunt statement...I don't work Thursday I lose my holiday pay and take an unapproved day. Sounds not too terrible for a person like me that never misses..but what if something happens later in the year that I HAVE to be home for..Steve has a relapse, Kaya is sick..whatever..I have to remember that being thankful comes in many forms...So I am thankful to have the ability to put food on my family's table, thankful to have the family that will eat with us on Saturday and thankful to have a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment