Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Project in the works :)

   We have been simplifying lots of areas of our life and one thing we have been focusing on is better use of our land/gardens and home. This project is going to focus on my utility room.
  It's a nice utility room but the design sort of wasted space. I have been wanting a pantry forever and we debated hard on doing one in the garage simply because of the chance of moisture etc. So the other night Steve was getting something out of the utility room and said 
  "Why don't we make this into our walk in pantry? We can still keep the left side as the utility room...washer, dryer and such. But if we take out the cabinet on the right side I could build you a pantry?"
  The man knows the words to get to my heart lmbo 
  We really don't use the cabinet/counter in the utility room that much. It's got more hodge podge stuff stored in it than useful things and I rarely use the counter to fold clothes etc. I would get alot more use out of a pantry.
  So Steve has designed the plans. We will remove the counter/cabinet and it'll go to the garage to be used for a work bench (which we need). I'll paint where the counter was the same color of cabin red to match that wall. Then he will build a 2ft wide 7ft high, 6ft long shelving box(much like the way we started our box for the seed shelving he built me). Then we will put in five shelves at a certain height to accommodate cans being stacked two rows high (really you can't stack them higher than that anyway or they will fall). The top shelf which is near the ceiling will be where I'll put the rest of my family treasures...old cutting board etc. The shelving will be plywood that sits onto the shelf frame. I may put material or felt on the wood ..not sure. 
  The new pantry will have enough room that I can put my clothes baskets underneath (opening up my floor plan) as well as smaller rubber made totes for what I want. Then I will have a section built with either slant style shelving or with wire racks for extra spices. And I will also have room for extras like shampoo, paper towels you name it. I will also have a shelf for the gadgets I use but not everyday.
  I'm going to paint the wood a primitive cabin red/tan to match the decor and then Steve is going to make an ole fashion sign that says pantry. I'm thinking too about putting peg board on the one side then I can hang my broom there or I could get creative with things to hang there. Lots of ideas.
  I'm about half way through getting the room ready for the cabinet to pull out. Kaya feeling blah this weekend altered plans but that's ok :)
  I'm going to post before and after pics once we are done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment