Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Family Hog Roast

  Saturday was the family hog roast. We try to do one every year in last Oct, first part of Nov to celebrate the fall/winter bdays, so the kids can be together for treats (Halloween) and to just be together. This years was wonderful.
   My uncle ordered a pig this year since he didn't raise one. 210 lbs of fresh pork hit the cooker at 5am.
  

 My uncle and cousin did an awesome job! We had ham that was done in the smoker, ribs, tenderloin, chunked pork and we had my fave...bbq pulled pork cooked in a cast iron pot over the fire pit! Oh my ..it was awesome lol
It was a great day of family fun. Most of my cousin's made it. Funny how it doesn't seem that long ago it was us playing in the yard being silly and now we are watching our kids play together! Kaya loved being with her cousins and having fun. They played every game imaginable, chased each other, went on hikes and she was in heaven when Lynn let her ride on the trailer while she drove the 4wheeler to the barn ;) She saw the horses and got to feed them.
I love to hear my Mom chatting with her sisters..all my aunties in the kitchen talking or sitting on the porch laughing. I love seeing my uncles relaxing and having fun. And I love catching up with all my cousins. We all live different lives, have branched out in different ways, do things differently but in the end we are all family :) 
 Treat bags with wayyy too much candy was made up for the kiddos (which they loved) and with 4 tables of food (yes we have a big clan..lol) we had plenty of leftovers for everyone to take home. I always enjoy sitting on the porch swing eating my Aunt's swedish nut cake...it reminds me so much of the cakes my Grandma use to make.
 Even though a few couldn't make it yesterday and a few were greatly missed, but celebrating in Heaven..it was a good time. I know Grandma and Grandpa are proud of how we still come together to have meals etc. And I know Uncle Ronnie was watching his young grandsons play and smiling :) I miss them all alot. It seems like those chairs will never be filled at the table.
 Families that break bread together stay together. It strengthens the bonds, it passes on family information and it makes our children realize what family is. I use to feel like I had to be apologetic because my family spent time together and threw big dinners together because others didn't have that/don't try to have that...but now I've realized that is their loss and I'm thankful for every minute I have with my family.
  It's almost like it reenergizes you for the week, the month! Down home we can be ourselves,do our thing and it was a day spent with lots of love,laughter and food :)

No comments:

Post a Comment