Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve at the Hacienda

  Lucky me (note the sarcasm) had to work till 4pm today. I've not stressed at all all holiday season long but was beginning to worry if I could pull off supper on the table at 5ish! Walked in the door at 4:15 to see my hubby deep frying the turkey with my Dad helping and Eth and Em :) My mom in law bought a sliced ham, my Mom got to work peeling potatoes (the one thing I do NOT like to do lol) and Em made the biscuits while I did the sides etc. Everything came together smoothly..with lots of laughs ...and we sat down to eat our feast at 5:30ish. We had deep fried Creole/Cajun turkey, half the ham cold/half the ham baked with a bit of Coke poured over it, mash potatoes, baked beans, green bean casserole (I hate it lol but I always make it for everyone else that does like it),biscuits, coleslaw,and mac n cheese. Not too bad of a spread considering everything was homemade but the mac n cheese :) 
   Everyone had a great meal and then we did gifts. I think the best gift moments were when Kaya opened her doll from my Dad  and screamed so loud the neighbors probably heard!! She told Ethan "I've been wanting this my whole entire life. My whole life!" ;) The other one was when Em realized her book was...the family history book she had been wanting. Her face lit up and she dove right into it. We all got several nice things and I'm very happy to get a new sewing machine from my mother in law. I normally sew by hand but I've been wanting to do more projects and I think I'll like it :) 
   I really think the best "moment" for the whole evening was just us being together. The meal was great, the gifts were fun and well liked..but the company was AWESOME. This is the first Cmas eve since my Granny has died that I felt...right. I know that may sound funny but the first year she was gone I missed her so much it was insane. The second year it was chaos and drama and tears were too often. This year..things just feel into place, the moments were right and peaceful. I know many cannot say it but this year we had no stress, no pressure, no worries and a perfect Cmas eve. 
   I can say my best gift was having my kiddos under one roof for awhile. Em is 16, Eth is 18 and technically not babies anymore but they will always be my babies. I've never NOT had Cmas eve with them and seeing them together with Kaya...made my evening. Very thankful too that my mil felt well enough to come and join the fun. That my Dad could get out from behind high water to share in the time and to spend the night. Kaya was on cloud nine that Pappaw was going to spend the night :) That I had my Mom, my husband and my kiddo. The only thing missing was my brother but we got to talk for 3 hrs yesterday and I'm thankful for that. I miss him so much it's nuts but I'm so very proud of him :) Kaya of course had no idea how her Uncle knew she wanted a Furby Boom ;)
  Wonderful Cmas eve and if Kaya will finally give in and go to sleep...Santa can visit for in the morning ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment