Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Amazing how...

  Amazing how one small picture can bring back such a flood of memories. While making a book for my cousin for Cmas I have been going through pictures. This one where we made biscuits was on there. Looking at the picture I could feel myself choking back tears..but I could also feel myself smiling.
   That simple little metal biscuit cutter with the worn out red handle was my Granny's. In the 33 yrs that I got to be her sidekick I never saw her ever use any other cutter..and that cutter had cut a LOT of biscuits lol 
    I'm almost certain Granny wore out that red handle twisting out biscuits for her family, her grandkids and eventually her great grandkids. When she passed my cousin found it in her drawer in the kitchen and said that she knew I should have it :)
   I remember standing on a stool at the counter in the kitchen or sitting in the chair at the table and helping Granny knead out dough, talking and laughing, flour everywhere. When she was done she'd always run her finger down the seam of the table to get the flour out. It was the funniest thing to get to help Granny and as an adult it was a privilege to get to make "her" biscuits on a Sunday afternoon or a Saturday morning. If we had a snow day..it was homemade biscuits lol
    Now it's the third generation biscuit maker ;) holding that cutter...Kaya. It's fun to be able to tell her the story that goes with the item in her hand. She'll ask "Is this how Nanny did it Mamma?" :) 
    When people worry about what to live their kids in their will and all that jazz it's often the small little things that are overlooked. I didn't get money, I didn't get too much at all..but I got a biscuit cutter and a small wooden recipe box with a broken hinge on one side. Both hold more memories and mean more to me than any amount of money. I don't often get in the box for recipes...I've fixed them so many times I've got them memorized..but the little box sits on my kitchen shelf. Inside is recipes with flour thumb prints from Granny, wrote in her perfect sloping handwriting. Newspaper articles or recipes that sparked her interest. My biscuit cutter is in my kitchen drawer and used alot. 
    I can say that little box and that worn out metal cutter holds more memories to me than any thing I could have got. :)
    As an adult you look back and realize just how lucky and blessed you were and how blessed you still are. In one way Granny lives on because Kaya is really a good bread/biscuit maker :)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment