Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Vacation :)

   Vacation is my favorite time of the year ;) and I'm thankful that I get to take a week in October. I try to take it before the holiday rush and they cut us off and this year I'll even have a week left for Jan or Feb which I'm really liking. I can't complain about 4 wks vacation a year...but I do wish I had more lol
   Monday we slept in, a rare treat around here. I've decided there is nothing as content and soul satisfying as hearing your babygirl giggle in her sleep :) After a nice long cuddle time with Miss Kaya and some serious giggles and "girl" talk we decided to head down to my Dad's for the day. It been a bit since we had seen him and Kaya loves to play at his place. Lots of open yard to run and explore. She found a million caterpillars ;) she said lol (in reality she did find a lot..she had them in a pan till we made her let them go lol), played with Pappaw's dog and just had fun. We had a really nice visit and poked back home the back way on the gravel roads. The trees down home are simply popping with color!! 
    
Kaya oohed and awwed about all the beautiful colors. And yes I took this picture of the pond behind Dad's. :)
 Once home we decided the frost watch was warning enough to get the air conditioners out of the windows (I'd love to have central air someday..but thankful to just have air!!). Stored them away and decided we needed to build a hoop style hot house to save our peppers which are in bloom!! We enclosed the peppers, the rouge cabbage lol and we shall see how it works!!
And that was just Monday LOL
 Tuesday, today, we went to our aunties and picked persimmons. Kaya was more impressed with what was on the trees not the more squishy ones on the ground lol We got a really good amount of them. After the dentist appt (previous post) we came home to process the persimmons. I LOVE the smell of persimmons as you squish them..it's a fall smell all of it's own and ranks up there with the first scent of tomato vines in the spring garden. We washed the persimmons, took the stems off and we squish them through a fine wire strainer (we used a cup to do the squishing cause it was easier on Kaya's little hands). We ended up with 15 cups of pulp!! That puts me up to 44 cups in the freezer :) Considering it goes for 4 to 6 dollars for 2 cups (enough to do one pudding) I'm a pretty lucky lady :) I'll have more than enough to make some goodies this winter! Kaya did great helping and we will save some of the seeds (showing spoons!!!) to plant for our own trees!! Steve is wanting persimmon trees bad.

  Top pic: persimmons in the bucket
Left: persimmons being pushed through the strainer
Bottom: rendered pulp (persimmons used to be considered a food of the Gods by Native Americans because they were so sweet)

We finished up the day with Kaya passing out early (lots of playing outside today) and the smell of pumpkin seeds baking in the oven. Steve uses a fall mix...brown sugar, cinnamon, white sugar and a little salt and melted butter then bakes them for 10 mins each side at 350 degrees. The seeds are out of our pumpkins we carved.
  My best part of vacation? Being with my insanely funny, tad bit nutty, always awesome little family :) Still have 5 more days to enjoy not being at work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment