Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

I've learned...

http://youtu.be/W1GZzucDMlQ

     I've learned that I absolutely love to live in a fly over state ;) I've actually traveled to most of the US and the "fly over states" have always been my favorite.
  I've seen a wheat field in Kansas, watched a tornado chase down the road in Oklahoma and disappear, I've seen the sunset over the badlands, I've seen the fields in Iowa stretch out for miles, the corn fields and flat lands of Illinois, have felt the ground shake from buffalo in South Dakota, smelled the chili ristras drying in Old Town, felt the altitude change in Colorado and saw the bluest skies in Phoenix, I've seen the moon starting to come up in Window Rock...and I've felt the total freedom of sitting in the still perfect night of Indiana ;)
   I've been to huge cities, I've seen the White House, humbled myself at the Holocaust Museum, saw the huge dinosaurs at the Smithsonian, saw the major civil war spots and walked the streets of  Tombstone. I've been to Wounded Knee, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument.
  All those big cities with their huge highways, busy lifestyles and hurry up attitudes are fine. But there is nothing like those small towns tucked in the outskirts.
  Being a rural farm kid myself there is no freedom like stretching out barefoot on the front step, big moon up, listening to the kadydids and the frogs. Of seeing combines work the fields, or the Amish out with their horses. Seeing all the men come in after a hard day and everyone sitting down at the table. Of my aunties, grandma and cousins working together. It's funny how so many people think rural towns are backwoods with little to offer. We have just as much,if not more, than some big cities.
  Being from a fly over state life is a little different. Those small towns make up the backbone of America. We learn more than just farming. We may talk a bit slower or do things a bit different but we enjoy a little piece of life alot miss. The simple life. We know the land provides, the land takes away, that hard works pays off in lots of ways.I learned to ride a horse when I could barely walk, I could drive before I was 10 lol 
   Even if plans move us eventually to another "fly over state" it's a mentality that sticks with you your whole life :)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment