Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Reminding myself



        Steve and I ventured out this evening to finish up Christmas shopping. We really only had the Angel tree child, the name Kaya drew for a family get together, a few odd n end small gifts and a few things for Kaya to finish. Work gave out a 20% off voucher this year so we decided to just get the shopping done lol I am not a big "hey lets go shop" person. Don't get me wrong I love to hang out with my best friends, window shop etc but I've never been a gung-ho shopper. And holiday shopping is very far down on my things I love to do list!
        I think my main issue with holiday shopping is watching people with overstuffed carts, frazzled out from lists/errands/wants gripe at the poor cashiers. The long lines. The drivers who drive like idiots. And people just being rude to each other.
      We are far from materialistic people. We try hard to instill in Kaya that you can always dream of things etc but you don't have to have some physical item purchased to make you happy. This year we decided we were breaking the holiday down to it's core. Going back to being simple, less focus on gifts, more focus on traditions/family time, and not stressing over things. We found gifts that others may have overlooked that would be perfect for someone on our list ..and we found them in unexpected places (such as a beautiful hand tatted shawl that my Grandma made that as soon as I saw it made me think Steve's cousin :) I know my Granny would love someone having it that would adore it and I've got lots of her goodies and would never use the shawl) or we made gifts (hand painted ornaments, a prayer box for another close relative etc) that we knew people would like. But I found myself watching others with their heaping carts of gifts, of just things..and thought "Man, it must be nice to do that."  Money has not been growing on trees this year lol with everything we've had going on. I felt that twinge of ...of something I couldn't quite put my finger on but I did NOT like feeling.
   Then I took a deep breath, stepped mentally out of the situation and refocused...on what was important. It's great that some can afford to drop insane amounts of money on gift items, fun items and junk groceries. If they have the money more power to them. If they don't have the money and are sidled with the feelings that they have to do those things to gain love, friends or to one up someone then I genuinely feel sorry for them. I've always said that a poor man looks at his rich neighbor and sees a fine house...while the rich man looks at the poor man and sees a HOME. May be a silly paradox but fitting.
    I think the holiday times can make people spend too foolhardy, can make them lose their sense of happiness because they allow to do lists, errands, family events and things they think they HAVE to do ruin their holiday. I try hard to step away from that stuff, keep our home lively and fun, and focus on family.

    So other than Steve feeling wore out after the shopping trip and being less than thrilled it's shot night...the trip was a success. Even got Kaya her traditional new pjs for Cmas eve :) All that is left is stocking stuffers for her. And since it's Friday we have a whole weekend of fun things ahead of us :) :)

                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment