Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Our 7 yr anniversary...and a neuro visit

   Almost 10 yrs ago in Oct I got brave and asked out the nice looking guy working a few depts over from me. He had a sweet smile, gorgeous eyes and we had talked quite a bit but he had never asked me out. So I got brave and asked him out lol and we've been together ever since (he says he knew I was going to ask him so why should he do all the work?? LOL)
   7 yrs ago today I woke up to a rainy cool morning and a floor full of kiddos (cousins and soon to be niece that were going to be in our wedding) The rain gave way to a breezy sunny day that was perfect for an outdoor ceremony full of family and friends. I've always heard if it rains on your wedding day you'll be blessed with good luck. I sure have :)  One part of our vows was a Native American blessing about being each other's shelter from the storm...and we have been.
   I still remember how nervous Steve was in Spearfish South Dakota that evening when he asked me to marry him. I have always laughed and said I knew something was up when he wore a shirt with a collar to supper ;) I still remember his face when I came down the aisle. And still to this day he can shoot me that little grin of his and I still get butterflies. I have often stopped and wondered what I did so awesome to be this blessed!
  We never thought 7 yrs ago we'd be sitting in the neurologist office on our anniversary discussing how MS meds were working and MS symptoms. But life has a funny way of throwing curves into the best layed plans...either you learn to maneuver those curves or you crash!
   Sitting in that office on our anniversary made me think about how true those vows were we took 7 yrs ago. To love and cherish, to be together in sickness and health, rich or poor. How life ebbs and flows and you either find your groove or you sink. When I put that band on his finger I knew life might have some bumps..but I never thought I'd be sitting in a hospital room at midnight holding a crying man's hand because they thought he had a serious stroke..not just 5 yrs into our marriage give or take. Or that I'd exhaustedly climb into bed that night and the next with a crying toddler that just wanted her Daddy NOW. But we made it through that bump, and we've made it through every one since. Those little bands on our hands are merely a symbol of our life together...our bond and our hearts ..that is where the "marriage where two becomes one" is.
    We have each other backs no matter what, we've navigated some tricky family waters, we've learned each other's pushing points and what sets us off, we've learned how to step back and regroup..and we will constantly be learning new things together. I've learned in 7 yrs that I do have the strength to do anything and to do it alone if I need to..but I'm thankful I don't HAVE to. I've learned to not be so hard headed and to let Steve help me, to break down some emotional walls I've always held up and to trust 100% Steve. In turn I think he has learned a few things from me. Together we've learned that MS is a diagnosis not our life, we've learned that we are two different people that see things differently but we come together to make this awesome team, and that everything we do trickles down to our daughter.
  Yes, we have some hard times coming up...kindergarten roundup looms ahead then actual school. More drs appts. What may or may not progress and happen with his disease. Whether we want to expand our family. But ...like everyone else no matter what the notations are in Steve's medical files ..we are just trying to figure out life. Most importantly we are truly happy and we fall in love all over again every single day. We take nothing for granted. If we disagree we try to settle it and move on...life is too short to hold onto anger.
  And from 7 yrs together we've created the one true miracle that noone else can claim..Kaya.
  So..here's to a hundred more years (I hear Steve mock groaning now lmbo) of love, life and happiness :)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment