Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Kindergarten Roundup

 
   Ugh. All week those two words have nagged at me. Kindergarten roundup. Kaya has been a ball of "I AM NOT DOING IT" for weeks. Steve has been on the line...very encouraging to Kaya but secretly dreading it. Me...I've put on a brave face but I've been a bundle of nerves and today as the clock ticked closer for me to get off work and hurry home ....I felt like I'd puke lol
   Got home, fixed Kaya's hair (not Daddy's strong point lol) helped her in to her adorable outfit she picked out, told myself I could do this lol and off the 3 of us went to her school.
   Steve went to the same school (he's went to nearly all the schools in the system due to moving etc) and he told Kaya he loved it.
  Snapped the above picture as they walked across the crosswalk holding hands. Captured it perfect....Daddy has always been there to hold her hand when she needed it and always will be.
   As we got closer to the school she walked ahead of us alone. May sound silly but it was hard seeing my curly headed baby walk so sure towards that school. As we drew nearer I felt her hand lace into mine...never has that hand felt as small as it did today. I know on the actual first few days of school it will feel small again..but today it felt tiny. One side of me grasped her hand super tight just as nervous as she was but the realistic be a big girl now Mommy side...grasped it as if it was a normal day and following the paws on the wall...we found our room.

   I can say the paperwork went quickly and Kaya marched right out the door with another girl to begin her test. A friend of Steve's was enrolling her little one so they talked. I won't lie I texted my little brother...my calm always in any storm ...lol :)
   She rocked out the roundup and did excellent other than the areas we knew she'd have trouble in. She's hardheaded in two areas and we have been working hard on that area. We really liked the teachers we talked to, the atmosphere was nice and I told them bluntly I came out of a tiny school system of everyone knowing everyone and I felt a bit lost...they just guided me through things.
  So dang proud of our baby. She's a brave one and faced right up to what she needed to do and scored perfectly on several parts of the tests.
  They are offering a summer course...4 wks of half days, for all kids that didn't attend preschool and I think we are going to send her. Just to take the uncertainty of getting on a bus, waiting in line, raising your hand etc so she has less to worry about.
   Time sure does fly. Where my tiny little baby once was stands an eager, hard headed little lady. Opinionated, self assured, dreamer. I've always said I won't be a parent that says you have to measure up to anything but your own happiness and the best you can do, that won't fret over what other parents do or how they do it...and I guess come this fall we'll start a new journey together. I want Kaya to always reach for the stars, always be improving and learning but I also want her to know I accept her as she is. That she can do anything she wants (she wants to be a veterinarian and a research veterinarian for all types of animals and travel around the US doing it) and we will be right there behind her...the loudest, proudest cheering squad ever :)
    So we begin a journey that has my heart walking around on two legs exploring a new world, gaining knowledge, friends and seeing life in different ways. I hope the world is gentle with her, that she keeps her spark and that bit of quirkiness that is Kaya. I think we can do this................

2 comments:

  1. This is a picture for the wall, would this not make a great Fathers Day card.....and when my 3 kids went to school that first day I cried like a baby, only to find out that when they came home they had the time of their lives, until about 3rd grade,lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thank you Sherry :) I made a copy of it for Steve's computer desk. He gave me that crooked little smile of his ;) I keep telling myself I won't cry in front of her on the big day but I'm taking off that whole week so lmbo I'm prepared. I want her to spread her wings and enjoy every thing in life..and I want us to grow with her...but man it's hard letting those little wings spread HAHA I'm thinking she's going to enjoy school alot

    ReplyDelete