Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Monday, February 10, 2014

The month is flying by!!

   February is flying by. We've had lots of snow, lots of laughs and lots of fun. We did find out that sledding down the side hill with a coating of ice...makes for Kaya lots of giggles and Mommy some more white hair LOL
  Kaya is very interested in Valentines Day this year and wants us to have "mini turkey" for supper (Cornish hens) and give each other little gifts. We usually do something so that may be the game plan. Super easy to make and she thinks they are "very special" ;)

 Chickens are growing by leaps and bounds...faster than I think even Steve thought they would!! Getting the chicken house built is def on the to do list when the weather breaks. I'm also happy that when the weather gets better we'll get our chicken run built at Dad's and the rooster will go down there. I'm hoping the hens will start laying this spring/early summer. I'm thinking that Kaya will be super excited to see the eggs...they will be a dark purple brown! 
  I've decided to buy a canner this year that can pressure can and water can. That way I can put up more of our garden bounty and do jellies, broths and soups. I've always put up stuff but mainly by freezing and with Steve building my pantry shelving this spring I'll have plenty of room for canned items. I can do tomatoes, jellies, tomato sauces etc with water canning but have to have pressure canning for beans, soups etc. Should be fun. We are going to round out too our bounty with stuff from farmers market since our raspberry bushes won't be producing yet and it's hard to beat the deer at Dad's for his blackberries LOL
  We've also decided this year to do a Grow A Row, Grow A row of love. Will explain more in another blog.
  I've got to set up Kaya's apt for Kindergarten enrollment. Ugh. I'm excited for her but..it's not easy. For any of us. But it's another milestone in life and I know she can excel at anything!
  We are toying with buying either a goat or a pig (yes I'm one of those women...useful gifts over luxury lmbo) to raise at Dad's. The goat will keep weeds at bay and if it's a female give milk. If we go the pig route it's pork in the freezer. Not sure what we will do.
  Insurance is covering Steve's meds and had our first shipment for the year. Sad that it's a hit of 2400 an order but thankful for the copay program and that we get to keep his meds. We once again this last tax year hit our 5000 deduct, 500 healthcare credit and 10,000 out of pocket before the end of the year. But..blessings lay in the small print and that is how one has to live!

 Life is rolling along rather well.  How could it not with this goofy girl ? :)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment