Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Cake pops

  Thought I'd do a post on how we did our cake pops. I had never done them till this year and was surprised at how easy they really are. They say it's easier with the kit that makes them all a perfect same size but Kaya and I winged it and did our own...and between home and the girls at work the cake pops got a BIIIIG thumbs up :)
   Bake a cake of any type. We used red velvet since it was Valentine's Day. Follow the box directions and then let cool. So you'll need a cake mix, eggs, water and oil. I haven't tried it with any conversion recipes such as using applesauce etc so I can't say how well that kind of cake works. The cake seems to cool faster ;) if you have an adorable curly headed little girl "cooling" it with her purple crazy minions lol 

Once the cake is completely cooled cut the edging off (otherwise you'll have hard spots in your pops) then cut the cake into 4 equal squares. Put one square in each hand, rub together and it'll crumble right into the bowl. Repeat with last two squares. Make sure to crumble any crumbs (sounds funny but you know what I mean) that are not small enough. You will now add icing. Depending on the moistness of your cake slowly add icing till it mixes the crumbs together and sticks to the back of your spoon. I used cream cheese icing and barely used half a container. It's recommended you don't use homemade icing because the consistency is too thin to hold the cake together. 

Once your mix is sticking to your

Our finished product. Kaya LOVED doing it
and it was awesome tasting :) I'm thinking I'm
going to have to get creative for some
type for her bday lol 
spoon start rolling it into small balls and placing onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
I used a small scoop I had but you can also use a cookie dough scoop/dropper (I am thinking I'm going to invest in one soon) that you can find at any store. Once you have all the mix onto the cookie sheet put in the freezer for ten minutes. Once set remove from freezer and melt your dipping chocolate. I used Wilton red and pink due to the holiday. I melted it at one minute at a time, stirring till smooth. Dip the end of a cake pop stick (or in our case straws cut in half because I forgot I used up my sticks lol) into the chocolate, push gently into the cake ball and dip in the chocolate. Set onto the wax paper. Repeat till done. Once set re dip in next color. Add sprinkles or whatever you would like.

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment