Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

          To say we are getting in the holiday mood is an understatement :) 
   We started with our family tradition of putting the Christmas tree up the weekend after Turkey Day (I grew up with our tree being put up the week of Cmas (sometimes even on Cmas EVE!!!) and then down the weekend after ...decided when I had a family I'd enjoy the tree and lights for awhile longer!)
   


   We've made our first small wreath of the season. Kaya picked the ribbon and decorations for it and we hung it on the door going to the garage.
   
   First batch of homemade Christmas cookies has been made and Frosty has kicked off the movie season (I can almost recite it and Rudolph by heart as Kaya last year watched them so often..even during the summer! LOL).

 We try very hard to incorporate my traditions I grew up with , things Steve has always done as well new things that are just "our little family". We also talk about other cultures holiday events and Kaya loves the story of how Hanukkah came to be, the magic of the oil and the dreidel song. She knows the story of the Three Wise men and Jesus. We try hard to focus on the feeling of Christmas and less on the materialistic aspect of the holiday. We encourage her to be involved in charitable things and she's manned food drive bins etc. 

  I've worked retail for 19 yrs and many would think that the Scrooge feeling would push me over the edge. I do find myself aggravated at how many focus on checking ITEMS off the list instead of adding people they love to a different kind of list...fed up with how people treat each other while shopping etc. I am also lucky that my job doesn't require as much time face to face with people on the floor (my job now). But I've also learned that when I clock out my real day begins at home. That holiday cheer is great and that seeing my 4 yr old's eyes sparkle over the tree lights etc is what keeps me happy. 
  Wishing everyone a great time preparing for the holiday, the ability to slow down and enjoy each moment, and to repeat family traditions and make a few of their own :)

No comments:

Post a Comment