Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

   Hard to believe that Thanksgiving has came and gone. Time sure has been flying lately. Kaya was bouncing off the walls waiting for "Turkey Day" so Daddy could "fry up those giant chickens". She has always called turkeys giant chickens.
  The awesome weather this year was insane. You barely needed a light jacket it was so nice out. Very unusual for November especially since we had our first light snow in October! But it worked out well for Steve having to fry turkeys.
  We had us three, my Mom, my Dad, my mother in law, my brother in law and a friend that my husband has known for years. Entirely too much food (lol) and a good time. Kaya helped the night before make the pumpkin pies. It's our little tradition that she gets to do that...as well as help make the cinnamon rolls for breakfast. (A tradition my Mom started when we were little and I continue with Kaya)
   I had to work 6pm to 3am Thanksgiving night. Not into the corporate greed of working families on holidays but I get VERY tired of listening to other people complain about it...then they come shop the sales. Money talks and if people avoided all sales until Friday it would change corporations minds on things. But..I also understand there are families that the tv on sale is the only item they buy their family etc and I pretty much row with the flow. I thought working Thanksgiving night would put a damper on my holiday but it didn't too bad. I still ate and had fun, enjoyed having family in just dreaded going into madness and was wore out by the time I got in bed. And 7:30 came entirely too early after going to bed at 4am.  I don't see the date of sales changing after the massive crowds we had. 
   I have so many things to be thankful for in my life. My wonderful husband, my sweet fab daughter, my Mom that stands beside me/us no matter what, my Dad improving himself, my baby brother that hung the moon, my best friends, my friends, my family. The basics that to many are luxuries...heat, water, a roof over our heads, food in the fridge/pantry. A job, vehicles, someone that loves me/us. Life is pretty grand most days.
   I can say even after working retail for soon to be 19 yrs I still love the holidays. I simply separate work and home. Why carry home the disgust I feel over how people act in public to my home? Why ruin my family time over someone else's insanity. Not happening. To see Kaya so excited over Thanksgiving...a holiday for thankfulness and food..not toys etc was the most awesome thing.
  Very thankful too for Hoosier Hills Food Bank, area churches, Salvation Army and the local food pantry for feeding those in need this year. The demand has been HUGE in this area and growing every day. Every child, every family, every elderly person should be able to have a decent meal for Thanksgiving. We donate every year and I'm glad to see the community involved as well. The true meaning of Thanksgiving was the joy of surviving another year, bracing for the winter, and coming together as friends (Pilgrims and Indians) and setting aside judgement.
  Hope everyone had a wonderful Turkey day and had some "giant chicken" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment