Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Friday, October 2, 2015

Have extra tomatoes.....make salsa

We had some last minute tomatoes start turning from our garden. Then a buddy at work had bought waaayyy too many from the Amish and they got passed to us. I absolutely detest wasting anything. So my mind went instantly to salsa. In our house Kaya and I love salsa, Steve likes more of a restaurant style sauce...smoother. He loves the local Mexican restaurants salsa sooo I googled some recipes, altered it a bit and found one we all like. It's also excellent to cook with and warms in heat factor (as in spicy) the longer it sets.
  The recipe:
   
28 oz can of diced tomatoes (with or without chilies) (or you can use 10-12 fresh tomatoes....just get water boiling, drop tomatoes in till skin starts to crack, put in cold water....then peel and dice the tomatoes)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsps pickled jalapeno rings, diced
10 cilantro leaves
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend till smooth. Chill before serving

  If you use ripe tomatoes (especially very ripe tomatoes) use less than the recipe calls for because the juicer it is, the more juice it will make! And you'll have more juice, less spices etc.
  I also use about 18 to 20 cilantro leaves because it really makes it taste like the restaurants and we LOVE cilantro. (I'll admit...I'm a cilantro addict. Just smelling it on my fingers...heavenly lol).
  I process mine up then put it into a plastic container with a lid (refrain from using a metal bowl...the acid of the tomatoes can damage your bowl and the salsa will take on a twang from the metal).
  I use it in rice, fajitas, you name it. It dips well but remember it is a thinner salsa so it won't be super thick. You can also use it in out of garden season time by buying canned diced tomatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment