Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Interesting discussion with my English Professor....

   I've started my second course and it's English...College writing. I was nervous going into the deal because I like to write but not so much public viewed writing. This blog was a huge step for me to do simply because I am a keep to myself person on things. But I have successfully done several essays and I like the class. The teacher is another thing. I respect her as my teacher but she seems to have a hard time with me being able to describe things in detail. We had to describe a place we had visited and I chose the Navajo reservation. I've been there many times and you've ever seen the sun sink down over the rez, smelled the frybread and sage in the air and seen the gorgeous art work and jewelry...well then you know the feeling it leaves. The teacher said she had a hard time believing what I wrote came from just my head. I explained to her that I indeed did and wrote her another shorter one on the falls in Spearfish. The picture that Steve took there hangs in our front room and I used it as my inspiration for my writing. Once again she wanted to know my internet source!! I politely explained that the source was my head and the picture in my front room.
  At first I was mad. I know my own self and even when I doubt my ability I have my brother J as a backup on my writing (which he proofread my first draft, told me to close my eyes and see the place not logically but emotionally and then gave my final draft a thumbs up). Then while down home yesterday I snapped this picture and I realized something: my teacher and I don't think alike. That is where the issue is coming from. She sees a brick walk way per say..I see the hard work that went into creating it and the art it holds.

   The picture I took yesterday perfectly sums this up. Most will see nice clouds and a few trees. To me I see a little bit of heaven set right down in BFE. I see the trees I played in as a child, the way the leaves bend up indicting rain is on the way. I see the huge clouds moving across the sky, casting shadows on the pastures. I smell that fresh air smell. I hear the cows in the distances mooing, the frogs croaking. I see what is in the picture! It's easy for me to describe in detail something I love when I relax because..I appreciate it. Growing up appreciating the land under your feet, the nature you live in changes how you write, photograph and see life. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but many never take the time to see the beauty...or the small things that make up a big picture. They instead choose to see the plain and focus on the busy.
  I have as of Thursday only three more weeks of class. I'm sticking by my guns, keeping my nose to the grindstone and I will accomplish the class. So far I have a 92% and I fully intend to do my very best. Who knows..maybe I'll even open the professors eyes to the beauty she is missing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment