Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Our first full week of Kindergarten



    Seems like the weekend flew super fast and before we knew it ...Monday had arrived. Monday, the first full day of kindergarten. Kaya quickly informed us she would NOT be getting a ride from us, not even on the first day because "I ain't no little ole baby".
  Her days pretty much went like this:
1.Kaya bounds out of bed happy and excited.
2. Hair is braided up ("not too tight. Not too loose. Make sure my hair ties match my outfit Mamma")
3.We are doing hangers...she picks out five outfits on Sunday night and puts them on hangers. She hangs what outfit she will wear on the door knob the night before. So she gets dressed
4.Shoes and socks are the biggest obstacle so she likes to push them till last. She HATES socks. Hates them. Seams, material, length...hates them.
5.Breakfast is had
6. Teeth brushed
  And she's ready to go. She usually is ready in time to chill a bit before walking to the bus stop (So thankful that we can walk her to the neighbors drive for the bus pickup ..our drive comes out on the side of a hill and is just too scary for her to try and use for a bus stop!!)
   How did the first week go?Actually great for all 3 of us. She had two days she got her clip moved down one color because she was talking to a friend during quiet time and because she was counting blocks with her hands (picture a bear walking on all fours lol). A quick reminder that the teacher is boss from us as well as the reminder that if she gets moved down in color 3 times she loses a toy of OUR choice for a week....and everything was smooth sailing on the talking front ;)
  We did pretty awesome too. It was hard. Very hard. Super hard. Did I mention it was hard?? 9 hours give or take without my shadow, my sidekick, my partner in crime. A quiet house. Just odd. I can say this first week I haven't strayed too far from home. Yes the school has my cell number but the newbie kindergarten parent in me fears not hearing it if I'm out or being in a non signal zone (happens a lot around here) and her needing me. Guess that is what it really all boils down to huh? Her needing me. My fear of her being hurt, scared or just needing me and I'd miss the call. Thankfully we never had that issue this week. And she found the right bus every day (they do have teachers to help ;) )
   I know this is our first week of MANY new adventures. Just one of the many times her wings will spread, her confidence grow. Just one of many that our hearts will skip a beat in excitement mixed with our own worry and fear. And just one of many times that she will simply ROCK IT OUT!!!
  Very proud of her. She's doing great, super excited and looking forward to her school year and even her long (35 to 40 minutes!!) bus ride. So here is to a school year of fun and learning!
**** Hanger system works awesome but I have found to just let her pick the socks that morning. Our house has constant sock issues lol so it's just easier if she picks them right then.
****I'm using the tips I've got from other Moms for her hair. I mix tea tree oil straight into her shampoo, shake well and use. Tea tree oil smells strong in the shampoo but doesn't once her hair is dry.And it deters lice. I also keep it in a mister bottle because with curly hair unless it's super hot out and she's sweaty...you can't wash it every night or it dries the curls out. So we use the mister bottle on those days.  I am also spraying her hair everyday with hairspray. Tames the frizzies and flyaways and once again..lice hate hairspray. The smell and they can't cling to the hair. Call me paranoid if you want but with her curly thick hair..I do NOT want to battle lice. Granny always said it's not a sin to get it but it's a sin to keep them. I am going to try my best to NOT have to battle them
**** Love too how backpack matches her lunchbox (super cool she says). Hate how the sticker part of her lunchbox came loose the first day. A little duct tape secretly stuck on the back of the sticker worked miracles and you can't tell. She has a back up lunchbox but dang it we just bought this one LOL so glad that tip worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment