Kaya Rain

Kaya Rain
Our beautiful daughter.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Schooling choices

  We have been looking into all the options for Kaya when she starts school. It's doubly interesting because locally our town has had an issue with a teacher being busted for drugs..but that could happen in public or private school.  So we decided to look at all kinds of options to prepare for when Kaya does go to school.
  We started with the local Catholic school. We are not Catholic but they have a reputation that is split. Some say it's excellent small classes others say that the kids come out to middle school less prepared. So we listened to people's opinions that had sent their kids there and then looked at the tuition work page. Very interesting. They will state over and over that they are "very open and loving school setting for all faiths" but if you are not Catholic in their parish then your tuition is nearly double!! At $5680 est it's a steep price for a year. Plus you have to add in to that cost $500 for books and you have to purchase uniforms and gym uniforms. You can receive a non parish grant IF you sign paperwork you will attend mass weekly and be a financial cornerstone of the church. That's great but I'd be a hypocrite attending Mass to save money...and I'm pretty sure the Lord would see my true heart and the churches. The second scholarship takes 500 off a year but you must attend and help at every single school function and fundraiser as well as SCRPT programs. There is no way that either of us could attend or financially do EVERY single program!! The third for 500 off would be volunteering 20 hrs a school year which is more feasible. But even with a scholarship flat tuition would be over 400 a month. Not in our budget. I also questioned where our hard earned money would be spent when my daughter couldn't attend Mass fully or take the classes for confirmation etc attached to the church.
  Another option is the local Christian Academy. We looked at private religious schools first mainly because many have high academic standards, small classes, good teacher/student ratios and more secure environment. Our second school was a bomb too. Our cousin attends the church connected to the school so we went to her for info as they have no website and no info on the computer (that alone made me rethink the school...it didn't sound open and inviting if that makes sense). Once we received the list of things you cannot do etc we quickly realized it was not the choice for us. If Kaya attended there I could not cut her hair, could not allow her to wear any jewelry, could not allow her to paint her toes or fingernails, her shoes would be measured for height, her skirt would have to go past her knees and her shirt sleeves over her elbow, no tv, no dancing, restricted music and the kicker....When I would pick her up I'd be required to follow the same rules...I would have to have a skirt on that went past my knees, elbows covered, no makeup, no jewelry (Not even my wedding band!!) or it would constitute Kaya being put out of the school. We would also have to attend church for a certain amount of hours a month for approval. I wasn't totally surprised with all the rules but to be honest a bit shocked by the absolute dictation of your life and outward appearances. How could I explain to Kaya that her teachers say women cannot wear pants or that dancing is a sin then allow it in our home? Believe me I have no issues with Kaya seeing or learning different faiths and questions and curiosity do not scare me. We do all kinds of different things in our home and I truly believe if you do not seek..you will not find. But it's quite another to tell a child her worth is based upon her hair being long but that if she wears a bracelet then it's sinful. Just a murky area. And how would we fit into the parent mix at the school functions and meetings?! Do I put on a fake personality and wear a skirt to fit in or do I try to be me..and my child pay for the consequences. Don't get me wrong..I'd give up anything I had to to allow my child every single chance in life...but..I won't stifle her soul and her being to get her into a school that MIGHT prepare her for college or her dream job.
   So far looking at private or religious schools has given me the feeling that schooling outside of public school or homeschooling is reserved for only people of money. That if you do not have a certain bank account amount then you are not going to "fit in" at these institutions. That the chance to give your kid a better education or even a strong faith based education is not in site if you do not have the moola. I also feel that they are entirely allowed to set all rules and faith rules they want (otherwise I'd be a hypocrite on things such as freedoms and censorship) but I have a feeling their openness to other faiths is not..that open.
  So onto public school. I came out of public school..loved it and did well. Steve came from public school and hated it. But I've explained to him he had no parental involvement at all, n one did homework with him, no one kept track of him. We are not that way. That the media and people fuel the fire about public school by focusing on bad teachers and lose sight of the good teachers that make a difference. So public school is definitely on the table. My main fear is the immense size of our school system here compared to my tiny hometown school I grew up in. Steve's main fear is security and dealing with less than desirable parents that could care less about their kids or anyone elses.
  Sending her to my school is an option. But we would have to add in the transfer fee since it's another county, the gas for a 40 mile trip TWICE a day,and the bad roads if the winter gets bad. It's an option but not a likely one. I love the idea of her having a small class, involved teachers and to be honest..my environment. Call me a control freak lol but I know the school, most the staff and that comforts me. Here..I know noone, I know very few parents of any kids etc.
  Homeschooling is another option. Steve is passionately for it because it's controlled, we have a more hands on approach and it has different forms. You can have home school groups and programs as well as set your own pace at home. My qualms with it is the fact I feel there is restricted socialization, makes me nervous about advancement past a certain age, I'm NOT a school teacher or certified in education, and I'm afraid we'll fail Kaya.
   Soo all in all it's still an investigation. I know if we approach it hands on no matter where we send her she will do great. We are involved parents, we will expect the best out of her and her teachers and our faces will be very visible at the school lol

No comments:

Post a Comment